The issue at hand is the most important necessity of our everyday life. Health and hygiene are the two keys to a healthy life. Health refers to a sound state of mind and a physically healthy body free from disease or illness. Hygiene is a regular activity that avoids sickness and contributes to good health. The lack of these two essential elements in our society is the main cause of diseases and ailments.
The issue was mainly identified through the organization’s awareness and help for all, through the media channels, and by visiting the areas underdeveloped in the vicinity of Lahore.
The issue was observed mainly in remote areas as they have poor health conditions and sanitation problems. The areas mainly include Talwara village, inner Lahore areas near Akbari gate, Delhi gate, and shah Muhammad has.
The unavailability of a clean and tidy environment was the main issue at hand. People of the undeveloped areas are unaware of the modern hygienic conditions available to the developed areas. The main objective of our project is to pass traditional health and hygiene education to the citizens of remote areas.
The first and foremost objective of our project was to give awareness about health and hygiene. Through our “health and hygiene” social action initiative, the people of remote areas are gaining to sustain hygiene for themselves and their region. The children were the main focus so that hygiene was maintained throughout their daily routine.
We planned our activities for four months, i.e., April-July. We divided our plan into four stages :
1. Setting of a medical camp
2. Give a demonstration of health and hygiene
3. To test the water of the area
4. Give guidance to patients about their dietary habits. We demonstrated the right way of washing hands and face, washing hairs properly, combing hair, brushing teeth to have a bath daily, and trimming nails properly. Through our “health and hygiene” social action initiative, the people of remote areas are gaining to sustain hygiene for themselves and their region.
We planned our activities for months. We collaborated with an organization and set a medical camp in a remote area Talwara village, conducted lectures in schools near Delhi gate Akbari gate, and areas of inner Lahore. We also did counseling of patients for their dietary habits.
We arranged a meeting with the organization on 2-04-2016. The plan discussion was planned for 9-04-2016, the preparative session for the medical camp was held on 23-04-2016, and the medical camps were set up on 30-04-2016 and 20-07-2016, respectively. According to these camps, we knew that the water of that area was not pure. So we tested the water samples and got the report, then with the result of the report we gave instructions to people.
Start Of The Journey
Our project, health and hygiene in remote areas approached an association: awareness and help for all. In the meeting with the association’s president Dr. Sajid we discussed the health and sanitary conditions of the backward areas. We chose Talwara to be the field area for our project and other remote areas of inner Lahore. We discussed how we could facilitate people concerning health and hygiene and awareness about a healthy lifestyle.
A preparative session for the camp was arranged in which the doctors instructed us to deal with the patients, check temperature, sugar levels in the blood, and check the patients’ blood pressure. Dr. Sajid was an important part of our journey. He helped us throughout our project. He gave us useful instructions to deal with patients, equipment handling, to work as a team.
We planned to establish camps in collaboration with the association where people could get free medical facilities like medical checkups and medicines. A complete medical treatment was planned for the patients to provide maximum benefit for the area’s people.
The day came when we, with our association members and doctors, reached Talwara. Before our arrival, an announcement was made about a free medical camp to help as many people as possible. The association arranged a place where canopies for patients’ sitting and checkups and a dispensary were managed. For a disciplined working, everyone took their task responsibly. One of the group members received/ engaged the patients and enrolled the biodata like phone number, identity card number, and residence in the register. One of them gave a token. In the queue, patients were given tokens, and their names were also registered, then they were referred to blood pressure, sugar, and fever checkup done by other group members, and then the patients were directed to doctors. In the camps, patients were also given awareness about health, hygiene, and its worth.
We facilitated about 100 patients in each camp, and the patients were satisfied with the health and care. The camps were a healthy activity in our social action project; they provided us with a chance to meet and deal with people, understand their problems and conditions, and observe them closely. They provided a source of connection between the underdeveloped areas and the developments in the health sector to provide medical aid to the grassroots level to help people with their everyday lives.
Lectures were prepared with the mutual co-operation of the team members on health and hygiene. Play cards and banners were made to attract people to healthy habits and a hygienic environment by simple everyday steps.
Schools of inner Lahore and underdeveloped areas were selected to focus on these lectures because they are poor in hygiene and need proper guidance to have health conditions in their lifestyle. Students of primary and secondary level were selected as the health and hygiene problems are most common among this age group. They are the main affected population concerning health and hygiene.
We gave them an introduction on health and hygiene, its importance in life, and how it helps prevent diseases as prevention is better than cure. We made them realize the bad habits they were not aware of were causing a major problem in their health issues. We advised them about their dietary habits, made them understand the importance of a balanced diet.
We conducted lectures in schools of inner Lahore and performed hygiene activities. We visited CDG Sheranwala school on 7-05-2016, GMMS Takia Sadhuan on 14-05-2016, GMMS shah Muhammad has on 21-5-,2016 Educative School Bedian road on 25-05-2016 Suffah Grammar School on 26-5-2016.
Water Samples Tests
To check out the water sample of the area to investigate various ions in the water, we took the water samples from the different parts of the area. We gave it to the UVAS laboratory for further processing. It was found that the water is not neutral and slightly basic because of the existence of elevated levels of carbonates, bicarbonates, and the presence of heavy metals that are harmful to human health through the testing of metals in water.
It is the main cause of various diseases. Unhealthy water causes serious diseases like hepatitis, cholera, typhoid, and dysentery. The people of the vicinity are usually illiterate and backward and have a bad sanitation system. We guided the people about a healthy and clean lifestyle, gave lectures, and performed health activities with the common people like proper handwashing. We gave instructions about prevention and guided them about common diseases.
We made the people aware of the diseases and helped them improve their sanitary conditions to prevent the diseases in the future.
Patient counseling was held from 24-07-2016 to 26-07-2016 about dietary habits before discharge at Shalamar hospital.
Counseling Of Patients
We also recommended patients with food intake in Shalamar hospital before discharge. Patients from various wards were asked about their health records, specific food intake, and daily routine. Proper dietary choices include the intake of vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. In human health, dietary patterns and choices play an important role.
Instructions About Dietary Habits :
Eating properly means following the National Food Administration’s dietary guidelines (SNR; Swedish Dietary Guidelines). This, in practice, means:
- Intake of lot of vegetables and fruits.
- Picking whole grain choices for bread, beans, pasta, wheat , and rice.
- Also consuming fish, ideally three days a week.
- Usage of liquid margarine or rape-seed oil for cooking and baking, rape-seed or olive oil for dressing, and low-fat margarine for bread. Change from hard saturated fat to soft mono and polyunsaturated fats.
- Pick foods branded with the symbol of the key hole, showing a low fat and fiber-rich content, and a small amount of sugar and salt.
- Eating less pastries, cookies, candy, chocolate, milk, and drinking less fizzy drinks and alcohol, and restricting their consumption to a maximum of several days a week.
- For the body to work, water is needed. Water transfers nutrients and waste products from every cell in the body and controls the body’s temperature via evaporative cooling.
- Food usually contains around half the water needed by our bodies. For every meal, it is recommended to drink water, but it is also best to drink water between meals when you feel thirsty. Water is the perfect drink for following food and quenching thirst. Notice that lots of sugar, but no nutrients, are found in fizzy drinks, squash, and alcohol.
- We visited the male, female, and pediatric unit, advised patients on dietary habits and conditions of hygiene, and instructed them on their nutritional plans.
Time Justification :
|Meeting with organization |
Discussion about plan
A preparative session for camp
|Making of charts and play cards |
Meeting with head and lecture on health activities
Meeting with head and lecture in takia sadhu
Meeting with head and lecture
Meeting with organization
UVAS for a water sample test
Counseling of patients dietary habits before discharge, Female ward, Paediatrics ward, Male ward
The first challenge for us was to have a clear knowledge of the hygiene conditions of the areas and to communicate with the local population such that they are not offended by our convincing them to adopt the hygienic lifestyle. We taught students to wash their hands carefully with videos and handwashing exercises to make people understand the value of health and hygiene. .we organized cleanliness activities in schools with a quiz to obtain children’s attention to hygiene.
- We learned to work as a team.
- We learned to convince people to have a healthier lifestyle.
- We learned about common diseases due to sanitation problems and dietary habits. essential for good health.
- The whole experience increased our confidence level and skills to speak with a variety of population.
- We learned to control our temper while convincing others.
- We obtained all our objectives through teamwork and critical planning our project will be sustained as we have associated with the organization and a dispensary was also set up in an area talwara.
- Local people got benefit from our project and their lifestyles directly through the health and hygiene activities.
- The remote area population got educated about basic hygiene necessities.